“My favourite waterbody” photo competition launched on World Wetlands Day 2024
Friday, 2nd of February 2024: Today, on World Wetlands Day Local Authority Waters Programme (LAWPRO) is launching a nationwide photo competition: “My Favourite Waterbody”. LAWPRO is a national shared service working on behalf of the 31 local authorities in Ireland coordinating efforts to achieve good water quality across the country.
Speaking at the competition launch, Anthony Coleman, Director of Services at LAWPRO said: “I am delighted to launch this nationwide competition on World Wetlands Day to find out people’s favourite waterbodies. The theme of World Wetlands Day is “Wetlands and Human Wellbeing”.
Ireland is bountiful with iconic waterways and scenic landscapes, and we know how important these waters and wetlands are to people. We want you to take part by submitting a photo of your favourite waterbody to be in with a chance of winning a prize”.
The competition is open to anyone across Ireland, entrants under 18 years of age must be submitted by a parent/ guardian. If your photo includes anyone aged under 16 years of age, only a parent/guardian may submit the content. The overall winner will receive a €500 voucher for Powerscourt Hotel Resort and Spa in Co Wicklow along with an A3 framed print of your winning photo and there will also be regional prizes of framed prints.
The top photos will be featured in LAWPRO’s 2025 calendar and winners will receive a calendar along with their prize.
The closing date for entries to “My favourite waterbody” is 5pm on Friday the 15th of March 2024. To enter the competition please email a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org as an attachment along with your name, age, address and the location of your submitted photo.
For full competition rules and T&Cs please see below.
For media information:
Communications & Engagement Lead
Local Authority Waters Programme (LAWPRO)
T: 085 850 0409
About Local Authority Waters Programme (LAWPRO) https://lawaters.ie/
Local Authority Waters Programme (LAWPRO) works on behalf of Ireland’s 31 local authorities to protect and restore good water quality in our rivers, lakes, estuaries, ground and coastal water through catchment science and local community engagement. LAWPRO was established to fulfil requirements under the European Union Water Framework Directive and is funded by the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage. LAWPRO coordinates the efforts of local authorities and other public bodies in the implementation of the River Basin Management Plan.
What’s it all about?
Local Authority Waters Programme (LAWPRO) has launched a nationwide competition “My favourite waterbody” on World Wetlands Day to highlight the connection people have with their favourite river/ lake/ or beach by sharing a picture of their favourite waterbody.
We would like to hear why you love this particular location so feel free to send on a few lines with your entry.
The competition is open to anyone across Ireland, entrants under 18 years of age must be submitted by a parent/ guardian If your photo includes children then only a parent/guardian may submit the content.
Why should you get involved?
- You get a chance to showcase your favourite waterbody and why it’s special to you.
- The overall winner will win a €500 voucher for Powerscourt Hotel Resort and Spa in Co Wicklow along with an A3 framed print of your winning photo and there will also be regional prizes of framed prints.
- The top photos will be featured in LAWPRO’s 2025 calendar and winners will receive a calendar along with their prize.
- The overall winner will be chosen from the five regional winners, therefore the overall winner will also be a regional winner. The regions are broken down as follows:
- South East Region
- South West Region
- Midlands and East Region
- Border Region
- Western Region
|Launch of competition
|2nd February 2024
|Gather your photos
|2nd February to 14th March 2024
|Submit your photo entry by this deadline
|5pm on Friday 15th March 2024
|Winners notified by
|Friday 5th April
- The theme of the competition is “My favourite waterbody” and it should be encouraging and inspiring for others to go out and enjoy nature.
- Photographs can be taken using any smart phone, compact camera, DLSR camera etc.
- We would prefer if photos do not contain any individual who is recognisable.
- All photographs must be taken between the 2nd February and 15th March 2024 on the island of Ireland (including Ireland’s islands and marine territory) and photos must be submitted to LAWPRO via email to email@example.com by 5pm on Friday 15th March 2024.
- All entries should be in format of JPEG, PNG or a static GIF.
- The photographer must not have won a previous prize with the photo they are entering.
The winner will be determined by a judging panel whose decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
By entering the promotion and submitting your photograph, you hereby grant LAWPRO a license to use your photograph. LAWPRO will never use your photograph for profit and will always credit the original photographer where possible. Image copyright remains with the original photographer.
Privacy, Data protection and consent
We take our responsibilities in relation to protecting your data seriously. We require your consent to hold your data, by entering a photo into the competition you are consenting to this.
Your submitted photo may feature in the following areas:
- Local or national media
- Publications or on a website
- Reports or promotional material including social media
All personal data that Local Authority Waters Programme (LAWPRO) may use will be collected, processed and held in accordance with the provisions of EU Regulation 2016/679 General Data Protection Regulation (‘GDPR’). We will only use this information in relation to your entry to the “My favourite waterbody” photo competition and will not use it for any other purposes whatsoever. Your personal information will be retained for as long as is required for the purposes outlined above.